Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Liberate yourself from my viselike grip."

Maybe I don't know because I was never a teenage boy or maybe its just because we don't hear all the thoughts behind people's eyes, but Holden is coming off, in the first few chapters at least, as kind of a weird kid. But then I start to wonder... how would any of us be perceived if our every random little thought was written down between our facial expressions and the words we choose to say? Maybe JD Salinger just did a brilliant job of creating real inner dialogue. Maybe he understands the insecurities and unfounded hatreds, the snap-judgements and random memories that creep into the average everyday head. Or maybe Holden Caulfield is an odd duck.... I haven't decided yet. I guess I'll give him another 21 chapters before I pass judgement on him.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment